a conversation between two friends separated by one state, sharing the same passion for the art of knitwear.

knitorious is an archive for knitwear designers, knitwear students, knitwear lovers and even the knitwear curious.


the lost pieces

Here are a few pieces I did for Organic that didn't make it to the show.
They are a bit more complicated, super textural, and require closures, so they
just didn't work out in the end. So it goes.

I would love to get my hands on my work sooner rather later, this way I can take
proper photographs. The following photos were taken with my cellphone or my laptop,
in order to document my progress.
Perhaps I can team up with photographer/graphic artist Chelsey Culmann and
model/stylist Emily Theobald again for this one... but anyhow, here they are:

Motorcycle jacket knit in Icelandic Loopi.
This is another sweater that I knit all-one-piece, on the 3 foot needles. I figured out
short rowing (by hand, I had only done this on machine before) at the hem, this way
the top layer when wrapped around is shorter than the bottom. 2x2 start, works into
rice stitch on the front, the back contains a series of column-like ribs that eventually
lead into an aran cable design. Jersey construction in set-in sleeves with a twisted 1x1 hem.
It needed a snap here, this way you have the option of wearing it closed up like this,
or with the flap down, like in the previous photos.
You can see that short-rowing curve quite well in this photo.
This neckline would have been closed with fur hooks to complete the jacket.

Seamless, circular knit jersey dress in lace Shetland.
Wool roving in two colors were knit in to create texture/tweedy pattern as well.
I began with a garter stitch start on size 5.5 needles. I would knit, I think it was just about
20-30 courses, in one needle size, then size up to the next. I ended with a size 10 needle.
This technique allows the stitch to get looser and larger as it progresses. Since it does
however, the fabric would expand and become wider as I increased the size of the needle.
To account for this, and to keep the dress nice and tight, I would have to decrease a
number of stitches per needle size increase. It was knit in the round, opened up to shape
the armholes, and then was re-connected at the shoulder, where I continued to
knit in the round for the turtle neck. So, the entire thing is seamless. Sleeves set-in.
Still not sure how I figured this out so nicely, but it did work...
Running aran cable down the CB eventually opens up at the shoulders.
I thought this looked really beautiful. In the end, it was a bit to short for good modern
taste, and I agree with that. Should have been 5 inches longer... next time I'll get it.

Button-back cardigan knit in a mix of Bartlett tubular wool and Hud. Valley Shetland.
At the first fitting, one of the models called this the "boyfriend sweater", since you
need another person to get in and out of it... tehe I thought that was sweet.
Anyhow, this one was the only sweater with seams. I had a side seam in there, and
simply knit the back longer than the front. It begins with a twisted 1x1 hem, then progresses
into a painting of jersey and purl stitches. I did wet-felted elbow patches, which were
made individually, then hand stitched on, then needle felted in place.
Also, I figured out button holes!
Wet-felted elbow patch up against the heavy texture of the knit.
These were temporary buttons just to hold the place.
It would have looked great with some crude bone/shell buttons or something.
Here's a close up of that cloud-like wet-felted elbow patch..

(I'm going to try and make this one of the last posts on this stuff, I hope your not
getting sick of it!)


  1. holy crap amanda, you make my jaw drop! and i would totally love to be involved in getting some shots of these. let me know when ya get them back!

  2. yesss! thank yooou!! alright, I'll get to work on that. I figured between the two of us we would be able to style em with stuff we have already. can't wait!!

  3. O M G - the moto jacket sweater is TO DIE FOR!!!!